Family Garden Trains
Discussion Forums

Visit our Affiliated Pages:
Return to Family Garden Trains Home page
Garden Railroading Primer Articles: All about getting a Garden Railroad up and running well
Big Christmas Trains: Directory of Large Scale and O Scale trains with holiday themes
Return to Big Indoor Trains Home page
Building temporary and permanent railroads with big model trains
Best-loved railroad songs and the stories behind them.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Northeast Winters?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:13 am 
Site Admin

A reader writes:

Interested in building a garden set around my outdoor pond area. I would like to make sure the train is durable and the train will withstand Pennsylvania winters.

-----Our Response---Please log in and add your own if you have an addition or correction

I think you meant that the track needs to withstand PA winters. Solid brass track like Aristo used to sell does great. Nowadays Aristo track is being sold by Scott Polk's GeneratioNext. Bachmann is also selling solid brass track. But it's not what they put in their train sets. LGB holds up very well, too, though their rail-joiners lose conductivity after a few years. So you have a lot of choices. Unfortunately, they're all fairly expensive. The other thing to think about is giving them a solid base, either concrete or 2x6 lumber, because even the best track eventually starts to flex if it's not on a very solid base.

PS, I live in Springfield OH, a very similar climate.

Best of luck, please let me know if you have any questions - Paul

Post subject: Re: Northeast Winters?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Another reader writes:

Always wanted to have a garden train. We live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Is 5 feet of snow a problem with trains?

---------Our Reply. Please Log in and add your own ------------------------

The track doesn't mind being buried in snow all winter. The rails may discolor, but you can still clean the top and inside edge quickly with a very fine gauge sanding sponge in the spring. The ties suffer more from UV than water or ice damage, so you're in better shape than I am here in relatively tropical Ohio. :-)

The BIG problem is frost heave. Also, that the frost heave is uneven from one part of your RR to another.

I like raised RRs. Here in SW Ohio, the frost line is 24". So I can create a nice raised railroad simply by burying pressure-treated 4x4s two foot into the ground. You'd probably have to put them 4' into the ground, which is not as easy.

A Canadian friend, Fred Mills takes another tack for his ground-level railroad. He builds a very solid "roadbed" (linear support) from pressure-treated 2x6's, and just lays them on the ground, maybe using stones or concrete pavers to shim the low places up and make them level. In the winter, the WHOLE Railroad rises and falls, and because the 2x6s are joined together very solidly, the whole railroad tends to rise and fall about the same distances throughout. In the spring, Fred checks the level of each section, shims it as necessary, and runs trains.

Fred also uses battery-powered trains, but that's in part because he often has several folks running trains at the same time on his RR, and it's easier to operate with a big crowd that way. Fred would recommend battery operation for any cold-climate railroad, but it's not necessary, especially if you're only running a train or two at a time to start. You can always change your mind later of course.

Hope this helps. Best of luck, and please let me know if you have any followup questions.

Paul